|A1||We Played Some Open Chords And Rejoiced, For The Earth Had Circled The Sun Yet Another Year|
|A2||Requiem For The Static King Part One|
|A3||Requiem For The Static King Part Two|
|A4||Minuet For A Cheap Piano Number Two|
|B1||Steep Hills Of Vicodin Tears|
|B2||A Symphony Pathetique|
|B3||All Farewells Are Sudden|
- Recorded At – Begijnhof, Brussels
- Recorded At – Jet Studio
- Recorded At – Black Mirror Studios
- Recorded At – Schlaff Klang
- Recorded At – Grunewaldkirche
- Recorded At – Studio P4, Berlin
- Mastered At – Calyx Mastering
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Lid Music
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – A Winged Victory For The Sullen
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Kranky
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Dustin O'Halloran Music
- Copyright (c) – Lid Music
- Copyright (c) – A Winged Victory For The Sullen
- Copyright (c) – Kranky
- Copyright (c) – Dustin O'Halloran Music
- Pressed By – GZ Digital Media – 93735E
- Artwork [Assistance As Always By] – Craig McCaffrey
- Bassoon – Hugo Barone
- Cello – Chris Jepson, Hildur Gudnadottir*
- Composed By, Arranged By, Score [Scored By], Performer [Performed By] – Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie*, Dustin O'Halloran
- French Horn – Rozanne Descheemaeker
- Harp – Chester Desmond
- Illustration [Cover - Nips And Lips] – Christina Vantzou
- Mastered By – Bo Kondren
- Mixed By – Dr. Donadello*
- Recorded By – Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie*, Arnaud Duchayne, Dustin O'Halloran, Francesco Donadello, Jean-Boris Szymczak, Nils Frahm
- Viola – Kristina Labitzke
- Violin – Elissa Lee, Marlene Ito, Peter Broderick
Recording locations : Brussels, Belgium at Begijnhof with A+D and Jet studios with Arnaud Duchayne. Udine, Italy at Black Mirror Studios with Francesco Donadello. Berlin, Germany at Schlaff Klang with A+D, Grunewald Church with Nils Frahm and DDR studio P4 Funkhaus with Jean-Boris Szymczak.
Mixing location : Outside Ferrara, italy next to a big river with Dr. Donadello.
Mastering location : Berlin, Germany at Calyx with Bo Kondren.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (From Sticker): 796441815715
- Matrix / Runout (Side A): ERATP 032LP SIDE A ERASED TAPES RECORDS LTD. 93735E1/A
- Matrix / Runout (Side B): ERATP 032LP SIDE B ERASED TAPES RECORDS LTD. 93735E2/A
A Winged Victory for the Sullen - S/T lp
I would not hesitate for a second to say that A Winged Victory for the Sullen's debut self-titled LP is the crowning achievement of Neo-classical music to date. This band is woven into my own life story - I used the epic closing track 'A Symphony Pathetique' with its blissed out 6+ min long ambient ending in my wedding. I flew 26 hours to see the world premiere of their second LP ATOMOS in London and drove 6 hours to see them perform in Knoxville with Loscil and Max Richter at Big Ears Festival. I LOVE this duo of Dustin O'halloran and Adam Wiltzie - in fact both of them are close to my all time favorite musicians. Adam has enriched my life to no end with his genre defining drone outfit Stars of the Lid and Dustin's releases under his own name have been on constant rotation on my turntable for over 8 years now.
The first time I ever saw A Winged Victory for the Sullen was at the 2012 edition of the Denovali Swingfest in Essen, Germany. They closed their set with a performance of 'A Symphony Pathetique' and when the lights came up I turned to see I was one of the few people in the audience still on their feet and still awake.
That moment made me realize that neo-classical and ambient chamber music had a very special and intrinsic place in my mind and heart. Instead of releasing melatonin and relaxing me it released adrenaline. I remember looking at the violinist and thinking, 'playing this kind of music is the purest form of human existence'.
Since the release of this LP, A Winged Victory have gone on to release two more full lengths and several singles. All are fantastic but none could be compared on equal plane to their first.
This is my desert island record, my go to when people ask what music I like. If you only own one record I would recommend it be this one right here.
Note: This is the version released by Kranky recordings for USA distribution.